Home About Me My Calendar My Artwork Gallery Customer Care Program Idea Book Join My Team Shop Online Workshops On The Go Hostess Clubs Fundraisers Email Me For Sale Studio J

Saturday, July 2, 2011

Photo Tip: Photographing Fireworks

It's that time of year where we celebrate Independence Day across the United States.  This year marks the 235th Anniversary of Independence Day!  I know there are several fireworks displays scheduled for this weekend's activities (except in a select few areas due to droughts and wildfires).  The boys and I are planning to set off a few fireworks of our own in the yard.

Have you ever tried taking pictures of fireworks only to be disappointed in your results?  Are you like me, taking what seems like a gazillion pictures only to get a handful of good shots - and even then, those don't compare to ones you've seen printed elsewhere?  Perhaps you're one of the lucky ones that takes awesome fireworks pictures.

This photo was taken with a Kodak CX7430 4MP digital camera - point and shoot, nothing fancy.  I can't recall the settings I used, but I know I took close to 150 pictures that year and only got a handful or so that I really liked.  These were professional fireworks from our local celebration.

This picture was taken with the same point and shoot camera.  By adjusting the settings, as well as the boys playing with the sparklers, I was able to get some fun shots.

This picture was taken with my Kodak Z1012 IS 10MP digital camera - still point and shoot, but it has a LOT more settings.  I tried several settings - including the fireworks setting. I can't remember what the setting was for this one either though.


If you're not one of the lucky ones, then I've got a few tips to share with you. Well, okay more like a collection of links to articles that will help you get the results you're after.  And remember, practice does make better (as my oldest would say).

Close To My Heart has a few AWESOME tips - even for us beginners on their Studio J Blog.

Here are a few great tips from Digital Photography School.

PC World goes into a few details about settings and why's, which is great for people like me who want to know WHY they need to set things a certain way. Also a few tips for us point and shoot users.

If you've got a few of your own tips for photographing fireworks, please feel free to share them in the comments.  I'm always open to trying and learning new things that will help me take better photographs for my scrapbooks.

Until next time...
Debra

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails